PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder is a long-lasting mental health condition that can develop among people following a traumatic event or experience. About 10 percent of people will experience PTSD at some point in their lives. Those with PTSD may have trouble sleeping, anxiety, depression and repeatedly relive the event.
There are already treatments for PTSD, but there is increasing evidence that CBD can help manage its symptoms. Cannabidiol is one of the active compounds of the cannabis plant. It can help reduce and manage symptoms of PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder in both edible and topical forms.
Can CBD Cure PTSD?
A review on PTSD, medical cannabis and synthetic cannabinoids found that CBD can be helpful. Some research suggest that immediately taken CBD following a traumatic event might make it harder for the brain to form memories that can later develop and lead to PTSD symptoms.
According to studies, drugs that act on the endocannabinoid system can reduce the symptoms that a person has PTSD experiences after a memory extinction procedure. The reason for this is because the endocannabinoid system includes CBD receptors that can affect memory and anxiety, which are factors that play a crucial role of PTSD.
Aversive memory extinction is a therapy process where a person, with the help of a therapist, experiences similar situations to those that can cause PTSD symptoms without the traumatic stimuli. Researchers are not yet sure why CBD works for PTSD, but it is possible that CBD can affect the hippocampus and amygdala of the brain.
Best CBD Forms for PTSD
Numerous studies have used various forms of Cannabidiol when investigating if CBD is effective against PTSD. Some studies have used topical CBD like oils, while others have used edible CBD. People with PTSD who took CBD capsules along with conventional counseling saw a reduction in symptoms, while children with PTSD who applied CBD oil to the skin treated their anxiety and sleeping problems.
Another review suggests that combining THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD can help treat PTSD symptoms. THC is a compound from the cannabis plant that causes the high. It has more severe side effects compared to Cannabidiol, as it was found to increase the risk of schizophrenia and psychosis. However, researchers need to do more studies to see if THC is safe against PTSD.
Best CBD Products for PTSD
- Sunday Scaries CBD Gummies with Vitamins D3 and B12. These gummies contain added B12 and D3 vitamins that can eliminate worry and stress. They are Kosher and CMP-certified, audited and licensed.
- CBDistillery Nighttime Gummies 30mg. Containing 1.5 milligrams of melatonin and 30 milligrams of CBD isolate, these gummies are available in various flavors. They are allergen and gluten-free, Kosher and vegan.
- Sagely Naturals Drift & Dream Body Oil. This dry oil quickly absorbs into the skin. Each bottle contains 100 milligrams of broad-spectrum CBD with clary sage oil, geranium and lavender that promotes mental clarity and relaxation.
- Vertly CBD Infused Bath Salts. These bath salts contain natural healing salts, botanical infusions, minerals and cannabinoids and promote full body relaxation. Each packet has 100 milligrams of full spectrum CBD .
- Liftmode Calm CBD Oil (for Sleep) with Terpenes & Melatonin. Containing 1 milligram of melatonin, coconut-driven MCT oil and full-spectrum hemp extract oil, this product promotes restfulness and relaxation.
- Calm by Wellness Hemp CBD Sleep Oil Tincture. Unlike various other CBD products that promote sleep, Calm by Wellness Hemp CBD Sleep Tincture does not contain any melatonin, and the company state that this will help people wake up relieved, ready and refreshed for the day ahead. CBD Shop